About ERF
ERF Affiliates
Research Activities
RIAD
Conferences / Workshops
Become an ERF Affiliate
Find out more >

Access
Online Services
Username


Password
Register | Forgot Password

Register For
Publications
Please enter your email:
 
|
 
Advanced Search

Egypt - Household Income, Expenditure, and Consumption Survey, HIECS 2015

Sampling
Sampling Procedure


THE CLEANED AND HARMONIZED VERSION OF THE SURVEY DATA PRODUCED AND PUBLISHED BY THE ECONOMIC RESEARCH FORUM REPRESENTS 50% OF THE ORIGINAL SURVEY DATA COLLECTED BY THE CENTRAL AGENCY FOR PUBLIC MOBILIZATION AND STATISTICS (CAPMAS)



The sample of HIECS 2015 is a self-weighted two-stage stratified cluster sample.
The main elements of the sampling design are described in the following.

1- Sample Size
The sample size is around 25 thousand households. It was distributed between urban and rural with the percentages of 45% and 55%, respectively.

2- Cluster size
The cluster size is 10 households in most governorates. It reached 20 households in Port-Said, Suez, Ismailiya, Damietta, Aswan and Frontier governorates, since the sample size in those governorates is smaller compared to others.

3- Sample allocation in different governorates
45% of the survey sample was allocated to urban areas (11260 households) and the other 55% was allocated to rural areas (13740 households).
The sample was distributed on urban/rural areas in different governorates proportionally with the household size
A sample size of a minimum of 1000 households was allocated to each governorate to ensure accuracy of poverty indicators.
Therefore, the sample size was increased in Port-Said, Suez, Ismailiya, kafr el-Sheikh, Damietta, Bani Suef, Fayoum, Qena, Luxor and Aswan, by compensation from other governorates where the sample size exceeds a 1000 households. All Frontier governorates were considered as one governorate.

4- Core Sample
The core sample is the master sample of any household sample required to be pulled for the purpose of studying the properties of individuals and families. It is a large sample and distributed on urban and rural areas of all governorates. It is a representative sample for the individual characteristics of the Egyptian society.
This sample was implemented in January 2010 and its size reached more than 1 million household selected from 5024 enumeration areas distributed on all governorates (urban/rural) proportionally with the sample size (the enumeration area size is around 200 households).
The core sample is the sampling frame from which the samples for the surveys conducted by CAPMAS are pulled, such as the Labor Force Surveys, Income, Expenditure And Consumption Survey, Household Urban Migration Survey, ...etc, in addition to other samples that may be required for outsources.



A more detailed description of the different sampling stages and allocation of sample across governorates is provided in the Methodology document available among external resources in Arabic.

Response Rate

For the new sample, the response rate was 95.9% (92.8% in urban areas and 98.5% in rural areas).

Response rates on the governorate level at each sampling stage are presented in the methodology document attached to the documentation materials published in Arabic.

Weighting

In order for the sample estimates for the HIECS to be representative of the population, it is necessary to multiply the data by a sampling weight, or expansion factor. The basic weight for each sample household would be equal to the inverse of its probability of selection (calculated by multiplying the probabilities at each sampling stage).
The HIECS sample is approximately self-weighting at national level and strictly self-weighting at the governorate level, it should be easy to attach a weight to each sample household record in the computer files, and the tabulation programs can weight the data automatically. The sampling probabilities at each stage of selection will be maintained in an Excel spreadsheet so that the overall probability and corresponding weight can be calculated for each sample cluster.

The procedures for calculating the weights and variances are described in details in the methodology technical document attached to the documentation materials published in Arabic.



Home   |   About ERF   |   ERF Affiliates   |   Research Activities   |  
Capacity Building   |   Conferences/Workshops   |   Publications   |   Online Journals   |   Datasets   |   Contact us